The “Emergency Smile Mission” that RED NOSES Clowndoctors International (RNI) plans to conduct on Lesbos, in Greece, will take place between November 14 – December 3rd, 2018, in the Moria Camp (Olive Grove area), in collaboration with Refugees 4 Refugees and in the Kara Tepe Camp, in collaboration with the Refugee Support Platform (RSP). This mission, part of the Emergency Smile Program, responds to the dire humanitarian crisis affecting Greece, a country deeply tested by the massive arrival of migrants and refugees, and on the top of it, it replies to the lack of decent human living conditions in the Moria Camp. This latter, actually, suffers from structural overcrowding (there are 9’000 people in a camp for 2’000 people) and, plunged into chaos, every day witnesses fightings, riots, sexual harassment episodes and where the thousands of people stuck there (out of which 3’000 are minors) are traumatized and experiencing psychosis and other grave mental illnesses.
The project aims to:
- Give children the possibility to express their feelings in a playful manner, to help them reconnect to positive feelings and regain resilience and hope;
- Transfer the Skills of Healthcare Clowning to the local Staff members in order to increase their psychosocial wellbeing and help them reduce the stress they experience in their everyday professional lives.
- Approximately 300 children migrants and refugees and their families located at the Moria and Kara Tepe Camps;
- Humanitarian aid workers and members of Refugees 4 Refugees and RPS, operating in the shelter camps.
Between November 14th and December 3rd, 2018, the Emergency Smile Mission in Lesbos, also with Alta Mane support, foresees the following activities:
- Pre-Mission Training in Vienna (November, 14-17, 2018) to get the 3 RNI’s clown-doctors prepared for the mission on the field;
- Mission in Moria Camp/Olive Grove and Kara Tepe Camp (November 19-December 1st 2018) during which the following artistic and clowning activities will take place: shows and parades; Circus Smile Performances; one musical theater (Caravan Orchestra) and Humor workshops intended to the humanitarian aid workers of the organizations operating in the shelter camps;
- Debriefing in Vienna (December 3rd, 2018) during which the clown-doctors will process and reflect on lived experiences, discuss about critical issues detected during the mission, assess the artistic interventions and share the Lessons Learnt with the Emergency Smile Project Leader.
RED NOSES Clowndoctors International (RNI) is a Non-Profit Charity Organization, functioning as the umbrella organization for one of the largest clown doctor groups in the world. With over 20 years of experience, RNI brings together artistic and scientific expertise in the interface between the performing arts, healthcare and development. For RNI health and culture go hand-in-hand in a partnership that recognizes the right of everyone to enjoy the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health. RNI is active in 790 medical and social facilities in 10 countries: Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia, Poland, Palestine and Lithuania.
Alta Mane also supported RNI in 2018 awarding the Participation Scholarships Healthcare Clowning International Meeting 2018. Please click on the following link for further information. Additionally, the Foundation already supported an “Emergency Smile Mission” in 2018 to the eastern part of Ukraine, in the cities of Kiev and Bila Tserkva. Please click on the following link for further information.