The two missions to Greece (Lesbos, May 2019) and Serbia (Summer 2019) are part of the innovative Healthcare Clowning program, the “Emergency Smile”, led by RED NOSES Clowndoctors International (RNI) in humanitarian emergency and post-conflict contexts. As a complement to the humanitarian and medical programs on the field, the Emergency Smile aims to provide psychosocial support to people in need, and more precisely to children, who are victims of traumatic events. Specifically, both missions respond to the dire humanitarian crisis affecting Greece and Serbia, countries deeply tested by the tightening of the European migration policies, where thousands of migrants and refugees are “stuck” in shelter reception centers, which don’t ensure the respect of humanitarian standards applicable to emergency situations.
The project aims to:
- Give children the possibility to express their feelings in a playful manner, to help them reconnect to positive feelings and regain resilience and hope;
- Transfer the Skills of Healthcare Clowning to the local Staff members in order to increase their psychosocial wellbeing and help them reduce the stress they experience in their everyday professional lives.
- Approximately 375 minors, migrants and refugees, and their families located at the Moria Camp (Lesbos);
- Approximately 25 local Staff and volunteers of Médecins sans frontières ;
- Approximately 350 minors, migrants and refugees, and their families located at the Shelter Reception Centers in Serbia;
- Approximately 25 local Staff of the Serbian Red Cross.
Both missions to Greece (Lesbos) and Serbia, also with Alta Mane support, foresee the following activities:
- Pre-Mission Training in Vienna to get the 4 RNI’s clown-doctors and 1 Head of Mission prepared for the mission on the field;
- Missions on the field (26 days each): during which the following artistic and clowning activities will take place: clown shows and parades, as well as Circus Smile Performances intended to migrant and refugee minors; and some Humour Workshops intended to the humanitarian aid workers of the organizations operating in the shelter camps;
- Debriefing in Vienna during which the clown-doctors will process and reflect on lived experiences, discuss about critical issues detected during the mission, assess the artistic interventions and share the Lessons Learnt with the Emergency Smile Project Leader;
- Monitoring & Evaluation Process to measure the impact, efficacy, sustainability and replicability of the Program.
RED NOSES Clowndoctors International (RNI) is a Non-Profit Charity Organization, functioning as the umbrella organization for one of the largest clown doctor groups in the world. With over 20 years of experience, RNI brings together artistic and scientific expertise in the interface between the performing arts, healthcare and development. RNI is active in 790 medical and social facilities in 10 countries: Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia, Poland, Palestine and Lithuania.
Alta Mane already collaborated with RNI in 2018 awarding the Participation Scholarships Healthcare Clowning International Meeting 2018 (Please click on the following link for further information) as well as supporting two “Emergency Smile Missions”, the first in Eastern part of Ukraine, and the second one to Lesbos (Moira Camp/Olive Grove and Kara Tepe Camp).