The two missions that Alta Mane will be supporting in 2020, one in Mainland Greece and the other in Bosnia-Herzegovina/Serbia, are part of the innovative Healthcare Clowning program, the “Emergency Smile”, led by RED NOSES Clowndoctors International (RNI) in humanitarian emergency and post-conflict contexts. As a complement to the humanitarian and medical programs on the field, the Emergency Smile aims to provide psychosocial support to people in need, and more precisely to children, who are victims of traumatic events. The project aims to:
- Give children the possibility to express their feelings in a playful manner, to help them reconnect to positive feelings and regain resilience and hope;
- Transfer the Skills of Healthcare Clowning to the local Staff members and volunteers of humanitarian organizations operating on the field, in order to increase their psychosocial wellbeing and help them reduce the stress they experience in their everyday professional lives;
- Identify, spread out and replicate the Best Practices in the field of the Healthcare Clowning and transfer them to the different stakeholders working on the field.
- Approximately 325 minors, migrants and refugees, out of which 100 unaccompanied, and their families located at Malakasa Refugee Camp and in some hotels managed by IOM;
- Approximately 75 humanitarian aid workers of IOM Greece.
- Approximately 405 migrants and refugees, out of whom 180 UASC, and their families located at the several Transition and Reception Centers and Asylum Shelters;
- Approximately 50 humanitarian aid workers of IOM and/or Save the Children North West Balkans.
Both missions foresee the following activities:
- 2 Pre-Mission Training in Vienna to get the 4 RNI’s clown-doctors and 1 Head of Mission prepared for the missions on the field;
- Missions on the field (2-weeks each): during which several artistic and clowning activities will take place (clown shows, parades, and Circus Smile Performances among others) and will be intended to migrant and refugee minors and UASC. In parallel, 5 Humour Workshops will be held for the benefit of the humanitarian aid workers of the organizations operating in the shelter camps;
- 2 Debriefing in Vienna during which the clown-doctors will process and reflect on lived experiences, discuss about critical issues detected during the mission, assess the artistic interventions and share the Lessons Learnt with the Emergency Smile Project Leader;
- Monitoring & Evaluation Process to measure the impact, efficacy, sustainability and replicability of the Program.
RED NOSES Clowndoctors International (RNI) is a Non-Profit Charity Organization, functioning as the umbrella organization for one of the largest clown doctor groups in the world. With over 20 years of experience, RNI brings together artistic and scientific expertise in the interface between the performing arts, healthcare and development. RNI is active in 790 medical and social facilities in 10 countries: Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia, Poland, Palestine and Lithuania. Alta Mane supports RNI since 2018.