To create occasions of integration and inclusion in refugee camps (Skaramagkas and Eleonas, Athens, Greece) through the practice of collective ensemble music. More specifically, this project aims to:
- Heal the sufferings of the children who have been forced to flee from their homes and their countries giving them access to art and beauty;
- Help refugee and migrant children to become valuable resources for their host communities and make them act as positive members of an open, multicultural and welcoming society;
- Empower and give them the chance to acquire new artistic and educational tools and Life Skills, develop their talents and strive for a better future.
- 87 active students (5-18 ages) in Skaramagkas Refugee Camp;
- 35 active students (5-18 ages) in Eleonas Refugee Camp;
- Approximately 10-12 students participating to the Young Leaders Programme from Skaramagkas Refugee Camp and Eleonas Refugee Camp;
- Maximum 10 students participating to the Photography Workshop, inside Skaramagkas Refugee Camp.
In 2020, El Sistema Greece (ESG), with Alta Mane support, foresees to develop the following activities:
- Offer more music classes (string and wind instruments) to children and youth in Skaramagkas and Eleonas Refugee Camps;
- Buy more instruments to increase the number of refugee children and youth who join the program and enjoy the benefits of music making;
- Allow them to assist to El Sistema Greece Youth Orchestra rehearsals as well as to concerts and cultural events in Athens or Thessaloniki, outside the refugee camps;
- Activate the Young Leaders Programme to allow more advanced music students inside the camps to be trained in leadership and eventually become assistant teachers in the music tuition classes for beginners;
- Activate a Photography Workshop inside the Refugee Camp of Skaramagkas to involve youth and offer them a wider spectrum for artistic expression.
El Sistema Greece (ESG): officially established as an NGO in 2018 but working in the field since November 2016, ESG is a community music project that provides free music education to children and young people in Greece. Inspired by the philosophy and innovative methodology of El Sistema Venezuela, El Sistema Greece offers free choir and ensemble instrument classes to children and youth from different background in Greece.