The project “You Create” that Fondation Terre des hommes developed in Iraq and Egypt (2017-2019), also with the support of Alta Mane, was aimed to design and implement a new methodology, based on child & youth led artistic activities, to support their psychosocial well-being and protection in migration and adversity settings. Specifically, this new methodology intends to:
- Help children and youth in migration and adversity settings to express emotions around the stress and trauma experienced and empower their ability to cope with it and to be resilient;
- Prevent more serious psychological distress to develop and support their psychosocial well-being and social inclusion;
- Use art, in all its different shapes, as a well-being tool and an agent for individual and social change.
Between November 2017 and September 2019, Fondation Terre des hommes in collaboration with the International Institute for Child Rights & Development, has developed the innovative project “You Create” grounded on two complementary phases: a Global Level Phase (research, development, monitoring and capitalization of lessons learned); a Country Level Phase (implementation and replication).
Global Level Phase
At this stage, between November 2017 and September 2019, Fondation Terre des hommes, has:
- Designed the new methodology “You Create” tailored to the emergency contexts (in Iraq) and long-term displacement settings (in Egypt);
- Produced 6 e-modules to allow professionals world-wide to implement the methodology in their respective projects;
- Featured the special section “Empowering Children and Youth through Art” on the online platform Childhub to disseminate the methodology among different stakeholders (NGOs, CBOs, governmental institutions and child protection specialists) and provide them Guidelines and Best Practices to develop and implement youth-led arts-based activities;
- Organized a Capitalization Global Training for 21 Tdh professionals from 12 different delegations in the MENA, Asia and Eastern Europe zones and intended to train the participants to implement the methodology in the diverse child protection programs developed in their respective countries.
At this level, Terre des hommes aimed to transfer the methodology to young local professionals and locally test it in partnership with local Community Based Organizations (CBO). To reach this goal, between November 2017 and September 2019, Terre des hommes has:
- Trained a total of 12 trainers (6 in Egypt and 6 in Iraq), 144 young leaders (78 in Egypt and 66 in Iraq) and 44 Adult Allies (27 in Iraq and 17 in Egypt, from Terre des hommes staff and several CBOs professionals) who, on their turn, developed 28 artistic activities, oriented by the You Create methodology, reaching a total of 952 youths (252 in Iraq and 700 in Egypt);
- Started forging partnerships with 4 CBO’s, 1 in Egypt and 3 in Iraq, to locally implement the new methodology in their own arts-based programming intended to children and youth in emergency context in Iraq (with Internally Displaced People, IDPs) and long-term displaced context in Egypt.
Effective direct beneficiaries during the years of the project (2017-2019)
- 66 young leaders (15-25 ages) and 6 trainers from IDP Camps in Kirkuk Governorate (Iraq);
- 78 young leaders (15-25 ages) and 6 trainers from refugees, migrants and vulnerable Egyptian communities;
- 44 (27 in Iraq and 17 in Egypt, ages 20-30) local professionals to improve their skills to work with children and youth affected by migrations and to act as focal points in the replication of the art-related methodology;
- 952 youth (700 in Egypt and 252 in Iraq) participating to the artistic activities;
21 Tdh professionals from 12 different delegations in the MENA, Asia and Eastern Europe zones participating to the Capitalization Global Training.